Besan mirchi is simple, mild spicy side dish that can be prepared within minutes. All you need is chilies, gramflour and some spices and you are good to go. You can use any variety of chili as long as it is not very hot , even shimla mirch tastes good too. It is a great replacement for pickles as the lemon juice gives it a tangy flavour. Tastes best with hot piping dal and hot crispy roti.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Side dish
Prep time : 5 min
Cook time : 15 min
Servings : 6
1/2 Cup diced green chili (thick, long ones)
4 Tbsp gramflour (besan)
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tsp turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp coriander powder
1/4 Cup oil
Juice of 1 big lemon
1. Wash and cut the green chilies.
2. Heat oil in kadai and add cumin seeds.
3. After cumin seeds crackle add chopped green chilies and saute till they shrink and the skin of chilies turn little brown.
4. Add besan and mix well so that besan coats well on the chilies and roast the beasn and chilies for around 4 to 5 minutes or until besan gives out a nice nutty aroma and turns brownish in colour. You will see that besan is too dry so add 2 to 3 Tbsp of water. Mix well.
5. Add salt and turmeric powder and give a nice stir.
6. Add coriander powder and mix to combine all.
7. Keep the flame at low until chilies are tender and besan well roasted. Finally add lemon juice and switch off the flame. Serve with hot piping dal and crispy roti.
SIMPLE YET SO FLAVOURTFUL........