If you love green vegetables , you likely already love bhindi(okra). Then for sure you can not miss this Bharwa Bhindi to have its appearance in your everyday meals frequently.
It is a delicious side dish where bhindi is stuffed with dry roasted besan along with regular spices from the Indian masala box which is an essential part of every Indian Kitchen. Dal, rice , roti and bharwa bhindi is the most simple yet comfort food that is cooked as lunch or dinner in many Indian homes. This fiber rich green vegetable has a lot of health benefits too.
Always use young and tender bhindi as they taste best after cooking. Do not use the bhindi which has blackish spots on it as they are the aged ones and bit hard. Wash and then completely dry the bhindi before cutting otherwise it turns slimy on cooking. You can add a tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent it from becoming slimy. I have not used in this recipe as the bhindi was perfectly dry. Also remember not to overcrowd the pan with bhindi as this also makes it slimy, cook it in a single layer in the pan to make it more crispy. Cook it on low flame turning frequently so that it is cooked evenly.
Put bharwa bhindi in today's menu for lunch or dinner and enjoy this flavourful side dish.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Main Course
Prep time : 20 min
Cooking time : 25 min
Serving : 5
250 gm Bhindi(Okra)
1/4 Cup besan(gramflour)
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
1 Tsp dried mango powder (Amchur)
1 Tbsp coriander powder
1 Tsp red chili powder
1 Tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Wash and pat dry completely and cut the top and the end parts of the bhindi. If the bhindi is too long cut horizontally into two halves. Make a slit lengthwise to create a cavity to stuff the masala. Keep it aside.
2. Dry roast the besan in a pan till it gives a nice aroma and slightly golden in colour. Once it is cool and all the dry masalas except cumin seeds and mix it well.
3. Stuff each bhindi with the gramflour mixture.
4. Heat oil in pan and add cumin seeds, let it splutter.
5. Now add bhindi stuffed with gramflour mixture. Arrange in a single layer in the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan with bhindi.
6. Let it cook for few minutes and then flip the bhindis. Repeat this till all the bhindis are well cooked and crispy all over.
7. Turn around the bhindis frequently to cook evenly , switch off the flame when its cooked and crispy too.
SIMPLE, SPICY AND FLAVOURFUL..............