Corn and Pea Pulao
This is Corn and Pea Pulao is simple, flavourful, and a healthy one-pot meal that does not even require any curry, just roast some papad, grab a bottle of pickle, squeeze some lemon and you are good to go for a satisfying lunch/dinner.
About this recipe
This is a super easy one-pot meal that can be prepared in under 30 minutes with basmati rice and is mildly flavored with onion, cumin seeds, garam masala, kasuri methi, and chili flakes.
In this recipe, I have used frozen sweet corn and frozen peas as they are easily available throughout the year. However, especially in winters, this pulao can be made using fresh peas and corn kernels. The combination of peas and corn not only makes the pulao taste yum but also makes it look beautiful with those vibrant and contrasting green and yellow colors.
This healthy pulao recipe has recently become my family favorite and is making its appearance frequently in my kitchen. Avi, my younger son just loves to have this pulao with pickle as the combination of pea and corn makes it more exciting than just a bowl of plain white rice.
This recipe is great for parties and get-togethers. It makes a complete meal for the kid's tiffin box.
Relish the corn and pea pulao with Dahi, papad and achar.
This Corn and Pea Pulao is
✓ one-pot meal
✓ pairs well with dahi , papad, and achar
✓ quick in 30 minutes
✓ filled with the aroma of cumin seeds
✓ kids friendly
✓ tiffin box recipe
✓ simple but not boring
✓ healthy winter recipe
Do we need to soak rice?
Whenever you cook any rice recipe it is always better to rinse and then soak the rice for 30 minutes. Firstly it reduces the cooking time due to the absorption of water by the rice grains. Secondly, it makes a huge difference in the texture of the rice grains after its cooked. When soaked each grain is beautifully bloomed and stands out perfectly.
While you are busy with the preps for the pulao soak the rice for 30 minutes and the texture of the pulao will not fail to amaze you.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Main Course
Prep time : 45 minutes includes soaking time
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Servings : 3-4
1 Cup basmati rice
2 Cups water
1/2 Cup corn kernels
1/2 Cup peas
1 Medium onion chopped
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp kasuri methi
1 Tsp chili flakes
1 Tsp garam masala
1 Tsp cumin powder
1/2 Tsp pepper powder
Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
Wash and soak frozen peas in warm water for 10 -15 minutes
Wash and soak frozen corn kernels in warm water for 10 -15 minutes
Chop one medium-sized onion and set aside.
5. Add oil in a heavy-bottomed pan/ kadai , when oil gets heated add cumin seeds and let them crackle and change their color to blackish-brown.
6. Add chopped onion saute then on medium-high flame for 5 minutes till sides start turning golden brown but the center is still white and translucent.
7. Add corn and peas and continue to saute on medium-high flame till some brown spots appear on corn kernels and the skin of the peas start to shrink. Keep stirring continuously.
8. Add all the dry masala like salt, kasuri methi, chili flakes, pepper powder, garam masala, and cumin powder. Give it a good stir for a minute.
9. Drain the water from the soaked rice and then add it to the corn and pea mix in the kadai. Saute for a minute.
10. Now add 2 cups of water to the rice-pea-corn mix in kadai.
11. Once the water starts to boil cover the kadai with a lid and reduce the flame to medium-low till all water evaporated and rice is cooked.
12. Open the lid and just give a quick stir, be careful not to over stir as it may break the rice grains at this stage.
13. After 5 -7 minutes transfer the pulao to the serving dish, squeeze some lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves, finely chopped fresh red chili.
A vibrant healthy bowl of goodness.................
If you try out this Corn and Pea Pulao recipe do comment in the comment section of the blog or tag me on @preetiskitchentales and tell me how it came out. I would love to hear from you.
You may also like the Aromatic Vegetable Biryani recipe on my blog.
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to know what's going on in my kitchen.