Are you are in a joyful festive mode?
Yes, I am sure you are. It's Dussehra today, it's a day that calls for a celebration, celebrating valor and courage, the victory of good over evil.
Food is an important part of festivals/special occasions in all homes around the globe. Isn't it? Like sweets, we prepare on Diwali and gingerbread biscuits, pies on Christmas.
Among some savory lip-smacking delicacies like Dahi Bhalla brings back a lot of memories. Dussehra, Holi, family get-together, birthday was not complete in my home without Dahi Bhalla. My dad loves Dahi Bhalla dunk in lush yogurt topped with tamarind chutney and generous sprinkles of red chili powder and cumin seed powder. Also, he preferred yogurt to be sweeter. I remember when he visited Kuwait for the first time I prepared his favorite Dahi Bhalla and we all enjoyed it.
I grew up with Dahi Bhalla on special occasions and carried forward this unknowingly as a grown-up to this day. Dahi Bhallas tops my menu among appetizers/snacks for special occasions.
Being Dussehra, a day that calls for a celebration I decided to make Dahi Bhalla as everyone in my family loves to have it.
See the pic, it looks so festive and vibrant !!
What is Dahi Bhalla ?
Another popular, delicious street food in India, Dahi (Yogurt) + Bhalla( deep-fried lentil fritters).
The duo makes a melt in the mouth savory dish topped with swirls of tamarind chutney, green chutney, spices like red chili powder, cumin seed powder, and crunchy sev.
How to make soft bhallas ? How to serve Dahi Bhalla
Soak the urad dal for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight. Do not rush through this step. I have only used urad dal for this recipe but you can use urad dal and moong dal in a ratio of 1:1.
Grind the urad dal after soaking to a fine paste. Add enough water to grind to a smooth fine paste.
Transfer the batter to a bowl, now using your hand or hand mixer whisk the batter to aerate it till it becomes light and fluffy.
Take a water test.
Take a small portion of batter and drop it in a bowl full of water. If the batter rises up on the water surface it ensures that your bhallas will be soft. If it does not rise on the water surface work more on the batter.
Fry the Bhalla on medium flame till crisp and slightly brown and do not overcrowd the Bhalla in the frying pan.
Keep the fried Bhallas on absorbent paper to drain the excess oil. Then soak the bhallas in lukewarm water for around 20 minutes. They will absorb the water and swell up.
Squeeze out the excess water from bhallas and arrange them in a serving dish. Pour whisked yogurt flavored with salt and sugar. I like the bhalla topped with sweet and salty yogurt. Adding sugar to the yogurt is totally optional. You can skip it too.
Refrigerate to chill. Before serving top it with tamarind chutney, green chutney, spices, coriander leaves, and sev.
Prior preprations !!!
I always prepare the tamarind chutney and green chutney 2 to 3 days before and store it in the refrigerator.
Even we can prepare the bhalla beforehand and deep-freeze it. After deep frying the bhalla , let it cool completely. Put them in a zip lock pouch and deep-freeze. The day you have to use, soak them in warm water for 20-25 minutes and then assemble.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Appetizers/Snacks
Prep time : 8 Hours(including soaking time)
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Servings : 16-18 in no.
1 Cup Urad dal
1 Tbsp salt
2 Green chili chopped
1 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp coriander leaves chopped
1/2 to 3/4 Cup water
Oil for frying
2 Cups Curd
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
( Add following according to your liking)
Red chili powder
Cumin seed powder
1. Wash and then soak the urad dal in 3-4 cups of water for at least 6 hours.
2. The dal will swell up after soaking, rinse again in freshwater and transfer it to a grinder-jar, add around 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to grind to a smooth paste.
3. Transfer the urad dal paste to a bowl and using your hand or an electric whisk whisk the urad dal paste to make it light and fluffy.
4. Take a water test by dropping a teaspoon of batter in a bowl full of water. If the batter rises up on the water surface immediately, it ensures that batter is well aerated and ready to make bhalla.
5. To the batter add cumin seeds, chopped green chili, salt, coriander leaves and raisins and give a nice mix, and it's ready to make bhalla.
6. Heat oil in a Kadai and with the help of a spoon or with your hands drop the batter in the Kadai in medium-sized ball shape.
7.Deep fry to light golden in color.
8. Take it out on absorbent paper to remove the excess oil.
9. Once the bhalla are slightly cool, soak them in lukewarm water for 20 minutes.
10. After 20 minutes, press each bhalla in between your palm and squeeze out the excess water.
11. Arrange the bhalla in a serving dish/bowl.
12. Generously pour the whisked sweet and salty yogurt over the bhalla. Refrigerate to chill.
13. Before serving drizzle with tamarind and green chutney.
14. Sprinkle red chili powder, cumin seed powder. top up with crunchy sev.
Garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy.
Tickle your tastebuds with this bowl full of deliciousness......
If you like this Dahi Bhalla , you may also like
If you’ve tried this Dahi Bhalla Recipe then do mention in comments how it came out. I would love to hear from you.
You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to sneak peek what's going on in my kitchen.