DAL PAKWAN - A POPULAR SINDHI BREAKFAST
Dal Pakwan is one of the most popular Sindhi breakfast.This authentic Sindhi delicacy is a combination of fried, flat,crispy puri's and spicy chana dal served with tamarind chutney, chopped onion and fried whole green chilies. The dough of pakwan is usually made with all purpose flour. Small roundel of the dough is rolled out to a circle. Fork impressions are made all over to get flat and crispy bread. Chana dal is boiled with salt and turmeric powder then tempered with spices like cumin powder, garam masala, red chili powder and the heroic ingredient raw mango powder( Amchur powder)which gives a tangy twist to subtle chana dal.
Give it a try to this indulging dish if you haven't yet, i am sure it will hard for you to stop after one pakwan as it is so addictive to your taste buds !!!
Cuisine : Sindhi
Course : Breakfast , Brunch
Prep time : 20 min
Cook time : 60 min
Serving : 6
For making pakwan dough
2 Cup All purpose flour
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tsp Coarsely crushed Cumin seeds
1 Tsp Coarsely crushed black pepper powder
1/2 Tsp Carom seeds
1 1/2 Tbsp + 1/2 Tsp vegetable oil
3/4 Cup Water
For boiling dal
2 Cups chana
3 Cups water
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tsp turmeric powder
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tsp grated ginger
1 Medium tomato
1 1/2 Tsp red chili powder
1 1/2 Tsp garam masala
2 Tsp raw mango powder
Fresh coriander leaves
For making pakwan
1. In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, salt, coarsely crushed cumin seeds, coarsely crushed black pepper powder, carom seeds 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
2. Now slowly add water to knead dough. The dough should not be very hard or soft.
3. Finally add 1/2 tbsp oil and knead again to get smooth and shiny dough.
4. Give rest to dough for 20 - 30 min.
5. Make small roundels of the dough.
6. Roll out the roundel to a thin circle.
7. Make impressions all over the circular pakwan with the fork.
8. Deep fry the pakwan at low flame till golden in colour.