HOMEMADE SCHEZWAN SAUCE
Schezwan sauce is a spicy and pungent Indo-Chienese sauce made with dried red chilies and a lot of ginger-garlic. The dried red chilies are soaked in water-vinegar solution and then grinded to a coarse paste. This red hot chili paste is then sauted with ginger, garlic and onion. Sugar adds the sweetness to kill the heat of the chilies. I would recommend to add a lot of fresh green coriander stalk which gives a nice aroma to the sauce. This sauce can be served as an condiment with momos, lollypops or is used to make schezwan rice, schezwan noodles.You can enjoy it with aloo parathas, gobi parathas or even with hot plain steamed idlis. It can be stored in the refrigerator upto 15 days and can be enjoyed with endless possibilities. Its a hot sauce but I say " Its a cool stuff " in my refrigerator.
Cuisine : Indo-Chinese
Course : Condiment
Prep time : 8 hours ( including soaking time for chilies )
Cook time : 20 min
Servings : A small jar full (around 200 gm)
15 dried red chili
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
2 Tbsp vegetable/sessame oil
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp tomato ketchup
2 Tbsp chopped white onion
1/2 Cup chopped fresh coriander stalk
3/4 Cup water + 1/4 Cup white vinegar ( mix and make solution)
1/4 Cup white vinegar
1. Wash, soak the dried red chili for atleast 8 hours or overnight in water-vinegar solution, Grind to a coarse paste using the water -vinegar solution in which the chilies were soaked.
2. Assemble all the ingredients.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, saute till it turn slightly brown from the sides.
4. Add ginger and saute for around a minute.
5 . After ginger and garlic are sauted nicely and change the colout to brown from sides add onion and again saute till onion becomes pink and tranlucent.
5. Add fresh coriander stalk and saute till it becomes tender, it may take 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add salt.
7. Add the red chili paste and mix all throughly.
8. Add tomato ketchup and combine all.
9. Add white vinegar and let the sauce boil for 5 minutes.
10. Let it cool to room temperature and then store in a glass jar upto 15 days in refrigerator.
HOT SAUCE........" A COOL STUFF"