KALA CHANA PATTIES
These patties have been made with kala chana (black chickpea) and potato along with some mild herbs and spices. It is a very famous North Indian snack not only rich in protein and iron but also high in dietary fiber.
Black chana is used in various form; boiled , sprouted , cooked in gravy. I have made this patties with boiled kala chana and boiled potato seasoned with basic Indian spices. The patties is crisp yet so soft that it just melts in the mouth.
It is made with no fancy ingredients , all the ingredients you probably have in your kitchen. Only you have to plan it earlier considering the 8 hours of soaking time for kala chana. Soak it overnight if you are planning it in a day time meal or if you want to enjoy as a tea time snack you can soak the chana early morning.
Sometimes when I have boiled chana in refrigerator, I just need to boil potato add all spices and herbs and bread crumbs for binding and patties mixture is ready. Shape the mixture to patties and deep fry to golden brown in colour. The patties mixture prepared and shaped to patties can be kept in refrigerator for a day. Just get to room temperature before deep frying.
Good to serve as a tea time snack , party starter or food for kids lunch box. It is a perfect snack for all occasions and is always be a huge hit in all get together.
Here you have step by step recipe with pictures to make kala chana patties. Serve it hot with green chutney, ketchup or chili mayonnaise and these are super addictive.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Appetizer / Snacks
Prep time : 9 hours (includes soaking time)
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serving : 15 in nos.
1 Cup kala chana (black chickpea)
1 Tsp + 1 tsp salt
2 Medium potatoes ( boiled and peeled)
2 Green chili chopped
1 Tsp ginger grated
1 Tsp chaat masala
1/2 Tsp red chili powder
1 Tsp crushed cumin seeds
1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1/4 Cup + 1/4 cup bread crumb
2 Tbsp corn flour
1/4 Cup water
Oil for frying
1. Wash the kala chana and soak it overnight in enough water. In morning the chana will swell up and almost double in size.
2. Drain the water in which chana was soaked , rinse it once and transfer it to pressure cooker , add 3 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt and pressure cook up to 3 to 4 whistles on medium flame or until soft and tender.
3. Once the pressure is released open the lid and drain the water from the cooked kala chana and transfer the chana to a bowl and let it cool completely.
4. Mash the chana with the help of a masher.
5. Add boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes.
6. Add 1 tsp salt, chopped green chili , grated ginger , chaat masala, red chili powder, cumin seeds, chopped coriander leaves, 1/4 cup bread crumb and mix well and shape in form of patties or kebab.
7. Mix 2 Tbsp cornflour and 1/4 cup of water to make cornflour slurry.
8. Dip each patties / kebab in cornflour slurry and then roll it over bread crumbs.
9. Leave the patties / kebab for 10 to 15 minutes after coating with bread crumbs and then deep fry till golden brown in colour.
10. Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
MELT IN MOUTH ......KALA CHANA PATTIES