Rabri is a traditional Indian dessert prepared by reducing the milk on low flame until it changes its colour from white to pale yellow and chunks of malai or cream are formed. It is sweetened with sugar and flavoured with kesar (saffron).
Making rabri is a time consuming process. It requires your attention continuously on the vessel in which milk is boiling to avoid sticking of the milk at the bottom of the vessel. You have to meticulously keep moving the malai or cream formed on the top of milk being boiled at low flame to the sides of the vessel. But believe me the end result is worth all your efforts.
Rabri is made on various special occasions and festivals like Holi and Diwali. Many Indian desserts like Gulab jamun, Malpua, Shahi tukda when topped with rabri taste awesome. It can be served warm or chilled topped with nuts like pistachio and almonds. Do give it a try and I am sure it will top your list of desserts.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Dessert
Prep time : 5 min
Cooking time : 60-80 min
Serving : 4
1 Litre milk
2 Tbsp sugar
Few strands of kesar(saffron)
Seeds of green cardamom (2 Pods)
Pistachio to garnish
1. In a heavy bottomed pan add the milk and bring it to boil.
2.Once the milk starts to boil reduce the flame to medium low , after 15 to 20 minutes the milk will thicken a little and malai or cream appears on the top.
3. Add kesar threads and keep boiling it at low flame. As the milk thickens you can see firm layer of malai(cream) formed on the top of the milk.. Move aside the layer of malai with the help of a laddle towards the sides of the pan. Repeat this process till milk reduces to one fourth of its original quantity.
4. Now add sugar to it. When the sugar dissolves just give it a boil for another 2 minutes and switch off the flame. It may appear little runny at this stage but once it cools down to room temperature it will thicken.
5. Empty it in a glass bowl and keep it in refrigerator to chill before serving.
6. Pour the chilled rabri in serving bowls and garnish with kesar and pistachios and enjoy this yummy dessert.
RICH CREAMY DESSERT...............