When I want to serve a delicious meal and I see that I am short of fresh veggies in my refrigerator at that time frozen paneer and frozen matar comes to my rescue.
Here in Kuwait I do not get fresh paneer and fresh peas also are available only during winters. So I always keep a good stock of frozen paneer and frozen peas. I make all my paneer delicacies with frozen paneer. I just soak the frozen paneer in warm water for 15-20 minutes and the frozen peas just for 5 minutes before adding them to the gravy and it tastes good.
For this recipe I have made the onion tomato gravy with ginger , garlic , green chilies and regular spices. I also add cashews soaked in warm water while making the gravy which gives a creamy rich texture to the gravy. Everest Kitchen King masala is my personal favourite and I add it to many paneer dishes which gives a unique flavour to the curry. Finally, a dash of crushed kasoori methi enhances the taste of the dish.
Serve matar paneer with hot crispy butter naan, tandoori roti or jeera rice.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Main Course / Curry
Prep time : 20 min
Cooking time : 40 min
Serving : 5
200 gm Paneer(Cottage Cheese)
1 Cup Matar (Peas)
2 Tbsp oil+1 tbsp oil
2 Big sized onion
2 Medium sized tomato
1 Inch piece ginger
4-5 Garlic pods
2 Bay leaves(Tejpatta)
4,5 Black pepper corns(kali mirch sabut)
1 Small piece of cinnamon(Dalchini)
1 1/2 Cup water
1/2 Tsp dried fenugreek leaves(Kasoori methi)
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
1 Tsp red chili powder
1 Tsp Everest Kitchen King masala
1 Tsp coriander powder
1 Green cardamom
1. Soak the frozen paneer and frozen matar in warm water for 20 minutes and 5 minutes respectively then use it later in the curry.
2. In a pan heat 2 Tbsp of oil and add sliced onion , chopped ginger-garlic and cook it on medium flame till the side of onion turn light golden brown.
3. Now, add chopped tomatoes and cashew to it and cook till tomatoes become soft and tender. Switch off the flame and let it cool and then grind to a smooth paste. If required add little water for grinding.
4. In the same pan in which you cooked onion-tomato, add a tablespoon of oil. Once oil gets heated add bay leaves, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves , green cardamom and red chili powder. Give a quick toss and the ground onion-tomato paste to it. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Now, add salt,turmeric powder, coriander powder and kitchen king masala. Cook for another 2 minutes and then add peas(matar) to it and cover it with a lid and let it cook on low flame for another 5 minutes.
6. Open the lid and add water to it and let it simmer on low heat for around 10 minutes till peas(matar) soft and tender but not mushy. Do not cover this time.
7. After the gravy is thickened a bit add cottage cheese (paneer) to it , mix it well and cover and cook for around 10 minutes.
8. Add fenugreek leaves before switching off the flame and serve hot with roti or naan.
ALL TIME FAVOURITE.......MATAR PANEER
You might also like other paneer recipes