MOONG MAKHANI DAL
Thick , creamy Moong Makhani Dal is one of the most popular dal recipe in Sindhi Cuisine. It is easy to cook , tastes delicious and nutritious too. It is different from the other dal preparations as its quite thicker and hence served with puri or parathas instead of rice.
Delicious and buttery dal is prepared with split yellow moong dal. It is very light and easy to digest. The dal is washed and soaked in water for around 20 minutes. As moong dal does not require much of soaking it can be prepared without prior planning. The dal is cooked with salt and turmeric powder till soft. It is then mashed a little which gives it a creamy texture. Sprinkled with some basic dry spices like coriander powder, amchur powder, garam masala, chili powder and chopped raw onion and then tempered with cumin seeds roasted in ghee makes this dal soulful. Even the pricky eaters at my home devour this dal with chapati or poori. What I love the most is the crunch of raw onion and the tanginess of amchur powder in this dal.
Serve this dal with chapati, paratha or poori. Side dishes like Aloo Tuk, Bharwan Bhindi , Dry Jeera Aloo go well and makes it a perfect brunch.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Main Course
Prep time : 20 min
Cooking time : 15 min
Serving : 4
1/2 Cup split yellow moong dal
2 Cup water
1 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
1 Tbsp coriander powder
1 Tsp amchur powder
1/2 Tsp garam masala
1/2 Tsp red chili powder
1 Medium sized onion chopped
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp ghee/vegetable oil
1. Wash the dal thoroughly and soak it for 20 minutes.
2. To a pressure cooker add moong dal along with turmeric, salt and water.
3. Pressure cook for 2 whistle on high heat then lower the heat and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid of pressure cooker and mash the dal a little with the help of ladle. If the dal is too thick add little water and give a quick boil. If the dal too runny boil for a couple of minutes. Transfer the dal in a serving bowl.
4. Sprinkle all dry masalas over the dal and top it up with chopped onion.
5. In the tadka pan heat ghee on medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin and saute few seconds until fragrant. Temper the dal with this tadka and garnish with coriander leaves.
6. Serve with puri and dry jeera-peanut aloo.
SINDHI BREAKFAST.......... DAL PURI ALOO