RAW MANGO LAUNJI
This tongue tickling raw mango launji has all the flavours sweet, sour, spicy and the sharpness of fenugreek seeds. It is made with raw green mangoes and an array of spices and aromatics. Either jaggery or sugar can be added for sweetness. A combo of sugar and jaggery tastes great too. This recipe is a must when you have raw green mangoes in abundance during summers in India. I start making Aam Panna and Raw Mango Launji in my kitchen as soon as raw mangoes appear in summers. The best part is that you can prepare a big batch of sweet , tangy launji and refrigerate it up to a week and perk up your daily meals.
Raw Mango Launji can be served with parathas, masala poori or even with dal chawal. This side dish makes your lunch and dinner irresistible.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Side dish
Prep time : 10 min
Cook time : 15 min
Serving : 8-10
8 Small raw mangoes(1 Cup full of peeled and sliced raw mangoes)
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp coriander powder
1/4 Tsp turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp red chili powder
1/4 Tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 Tsp nigella (kalongi) seeds
1/2 Tsp mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
1/2 Tsp fennel seeds
1/4 Tsp asafoetida powder
1/3 Cup jaggery
1/3 Cup water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Wash , peel and cut the the raw mangoes length wise.
2. In mortar with pestle coarsely crush fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds separately and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in sauce pan and add crushed fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds and cumin seeds and saute for a minute.
4. When all seeds give out a nice aroma add asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
5. Give a quick stir to all and add sliced raw mango pieces to the pan.
6. Saute the raw mango pieces for 2 minutes and then add all dry masalas like salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder.
7. Fry for around 2 to 3 minutes and then add water to it.
8. When water comes to a boil add jaggery and cook till it melts . Keep stiring occasionally.
9. Cover and cook till raw mango pieces become tender and when launji thickens to desired consistency switch off the flame.
10. Savor along with parathas, pooris etc. Can store in refrigerator up to 7 days.
TONGUE TICKLING TANGY LAUNJI...............