TIDALI DAL / TEEN DAL
Tidali dal or Teen dal is a traditional Sindhi style simple and nutritious fusion of three different types of dals - chana dal, split urad dal(white, no husk) and split green moong dal(green moong with husk). What can differ is the ratio of these three dals. I like to have chana dal , green moong dal with husk and urad dal in the ratio of 1: 1: 1/2. A small quantity of urad dal gives a nice creamy texture to the dal.
A mix of these dals is washed thoroughly and then soaked in water for around two hours. Then it s pressure cooked with tomato, ginger ,salt and turmeric powder till soft and tender. A simple tadka with cumin seeds, plenty of garlic and red chili powder enhances the flavours of this simple dal. A generous squeeze of fresh lemon brings all the flavours together.
This dal can be made thick or thin as you like it to have. I prefer thick dal with chapati, roti and little more runny with hot steamed plain rice. No matter how thick or thin it is sure to be tasty. You will surely go for a second serving of this healthy and nutritious dal.
What I LOVE THE MOST is the tadka of this dal. Garlic along with cumin seeds and red chili powder is tempered in ghee adds great flavour to the dal.
All you need to complete the meal is plain phulkas or hot plain steamed rice, some aloo tuk or bharwan bhindi as side dish and you are done with a nutritious wholesome meal.
You might also like spiced and hot Besan Mirchi as side dish.
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Main Course / Dal
Prep time : 2 hours(including soaking time)
Cooking time : 25 min
Serving : 4
1/4 Cup chana dal
1/4 Cup green moong dal
1/8 Cup urad dal
3 Cups water
2 Small tomatoes
1 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
1 Inch piece of ginger(grated)
3-4 Garlic pods
2 Tbsp ghee/vegetable oil
1 Tsp red chili powder
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
Juice of half lemon
1. Take the dal in the given ratio , mix all together and wash three to four times till you a get clear water and then soak for two hours.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the soaked dals , salt , turmeric powder, grated ginger and chopped tomatoes and 3 cups of water. On medium high flame pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles and then switch off the flame and wait till the steam escapes.
3. Open the lid of pressure cooker and check the consistency of water. Adjust the consistency as per your choice. If it is too runny give it a quick boil to reduce the water content. If it is thick add some water and boil it for five minutes. Once you get desired consistency mash the dal a little to get creamy texture.
Tadka for the Tidali Dal
1. Heat the tadka pan , add ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add in the cumin seeds allow it to crackle and turn golden brown then add chopped garlic to it and saute till it turns golden brown in colour.
2. Once the garlic is golden brown in colour turn off the heat and add red chilli powder and mix well. Switching off the flame prevents the red chili powder from burning.
3. Pour this tadka over the cooked tidali dal , add lemon juice and give a nice stir. Serve hot with roti or rice.
TRADITIONAL SINDHI STYLE TIDALI DAAL