WHOLE GREEN GRAM CURRY/ SABOOT MOONG DAL
Whole green gram curry / saboot moong dal is simple, delicious and nutrient rich dal cooked with aromatic spices and lot of tomatoes. This healthy . hearty dal makes a perfect meal when served with roti, paratha or a bowl full of rice.
Just scoop up the dal with your favorite Indian flatbread or relish comforting dal-chawal duo ( lentil - rice combo ) ; it makes a great lunch or a satisfying dinner.
Adding moong dal to your daily meals has a wide range of health benefits. This nutrient rich humble dal improves heart health, prevents diabetes and aids in weight loss. This dal is rich in fiber and easy to digest. I frequently include it in my meals as it is a good source of protein.
The process of making dal is very easy. To begin with wash and then soak the dal in cold water for an hour or two. Pressure cook with salt and turmeric powder till they mash easily.
The cooked dal is then tempered with delicious and aromatic tadka which does the real magic and gives life to this dish!!
Prepare the tempering or the tadka in a separate pan with cumin seeds, green chili and lots of garlic and tomatoes. Add this sizzling tadka over cooked dal and then let the dal simmer for few more minutes till dal picks up all the flavours. Serve dal piping hot with roti, paratha or rice.
If you are looking for more lentil recipes then do not miss to check :
Cuisine : Indian
Course : Main Course / Dal
Prep time : 2 Hour ( includes soaking time )
Cook time : 30 min
Servings : 6
1/2 Cup whole green gram/ saboot moong dal
1 Tsp + 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Tsp + 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Green chili chopped
1 Tbsp chopped ginger-garlic
2 Medium sized tomatoes
1/2 Tsp garam masala
1/2 Tsp red chili powder
2 Cups water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Wash and then soak the green gram/ saboot moong dal for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
2. After soaking, discard the water and wash again under running water. Then add saboot moong/ green gram to pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Let it pressure cook for 2 whistle on high and then on medium heat for about 10 to 12 minutes or till you can mash it. Let the pressure release naturally and then open the cover.
3. While pressure is releasing, heat the oil/ ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot then add cumin seeds, chopped green chili and ginger-garlic. Saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away and it turns nice golden in colour.
4. Then add chopped tomatoes and mix. Cook for a couple of minutes
5. Then add all the spices like salt, turmeric powder, garam masala and red chili powder.
6. Mix it well and cook for 5 to 7 minutes till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
7. Now add cooked dal along with water in which it was pressure cooked. Add extra water to adjust the consistency.
8. Mix well and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes till all flavours of tadka are well incorporated in dal.
9. Turn off the flame, transfer to serving dish, garnish with onion rings , chopped red chili, lemon wedge and mint leaves.
HEALTHY, HEARTY, HUMBLE..........SABOOT MOONG DAL/GREEN GRAM CURRY
Try out this recipe and let me know it turns out !!!
You can also follow me on Facebook , Instagram and Pinterest to see what's going on in my kitchen.