WHOLE WHEAT PITA BREAD AND HUMMUS
Cuisine : Mediterranean
Course : Main Course / Breads
Prep time : 8 hours ( including soaking time for chickpeas )
Cook time : 40 min
Servings : 6
For pita bread
3 Cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1 1/4 Cup warm water
1 Tsp sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp dry yeast
2 Cups boiled chickpeas
2 Garlic pods
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tahini
1 Tsp salt
2 Ice cubes
1/4 Tsp paprika powder/ red chili powder
For making pita bread
1. Assemble 1/2 cup of warm water, sugar and yeast .
2. Mix them. Cover and keep for 2 to 3 minutes till it becomes bubbly and frothy.
3. In a separate bowl take flour, salt, oil and add activated yeast. Stir well.
4. Gradually add warm water and knead a soft dough.
5. Cover the dough and keep for 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
6. Punch the dough to remove the air trapped in it and make equal sized balls out of it.
7. Roll them like a thick chapati and give the chapati rest for 5 minutes.
8. Place it on baking tray and put in preheated oven at 220 degree Celsius for around 10 minutes or until it puffs up to golden brown.
9. Remove it in chapati basket and keep it covered to prevent from drying up.
10. Serve hot with hummus.
For making hummus
1. Soak the chickpeas for 8 to 10 hours or until they swell up.
2. Pressure cook the chickpeas till soft and tender. Drain the excess water and let it cool completely.
3. Transfer the chickpeas to mixer jar and blend till its powder like, open the lid of the jar and add salt, lemon juice, tahini, crushed garlic, olive oil and 2 pieces of ice cubes for a creamy texture.
4. Blend all to a smooth paste , adjust the salt and lemon juice as per your liking at this stage.
5. Take out in a bowl drizzle olive oil , garnish with paprika powder and whole boiled chickpeas.
6. Relish with hot pita bread.
MEDITERRANEAN CLASSIC HUMMUS WITH PITA